4.2.1 Check of Conditions for Selection
You should check the items shown below:
- Application conditions: application environment, indoor or outdoor, temperature, existence of foreign objects.
- Conveyed objects: type (unit materials, bulk materials), abrasive, corrosive, temperature (high or low), dimension (for unit material), weight (unit material kg/unit; bulk material kg/m3).
- Maximum conveyance volume (unit materials, kg/conveyor length; bulk materials, tons/hour).
- Method of conveyance: pushing with dog attachments, conveyed objects placed directly on the chains, etc.
- Length of the conveyor, shaft center distance, vertical rise, general layout.
- The chain speed (m/min.).
- Number of the chain strands, interval length.
- The chain pitch, attachment spacing and type.
- The number of sprocket teeth, or pitch diameter.
- Working hours (hours/day, hours/year).
- Motor: AC or DC, kW × number of motors.
- Noise: If there is any noise constraint, use a larger number of sprocket teeth. Consult the manufacturer.
Some Additional Thoughts
You can make your decision on point 4 after reviewing the points in Basics Section 4.2.2, Conveyor Type Selection. Make sure to follow the procedure carefully.
Point 7 is more difficult to determine than it looks; the materials being conveyed impact the decision. Because the chain sizes and configuration may change as the design is developed, you must consider this point carefully. Consider these examples:
- If you convey fixed-sized pallets directly on chain, you usually need two sets of chains. But if the pallet is not rigid enough, you should include a third chain between the two outer chains.
- If you convey different-sized pipes or similar items directly on chain, you must consider the shortest length so that at least two chains are supporting the product on line, and determine the appropriate number of chains so that the chains are equally loaded.
Points 8, 9, and 12 may be revised as you proceed with the selection process since the chain sizes are usually determined by roller load, so make a preliminary selection first.