4.2.4 TPU Top Chain
Engineered Plastic Top Chain for curved conveyance
Bottling, canning, and general uses
TPU Top Chain (Figure 4.7) is used in similar applications as TTUP Top Chain.
Construction and Features
- TPU Top Chain has side-flexing capability with a minimum radius (R) of 500 mm accomplished by taper-shaped knuckles, and is equipped with float-prevention tabs on plates. A smaller minimum radius of TPU than on TTUP, and the presence of float-prevention tabs, enables this chain to follow complicated layouts.
- Tables 4.8 and 4.9 show the main functions and available widths for various TPU Top Chains.
Figure 4.7 TTUP Top Chain
|Chain Pitch (mm)||Bushing Diameter (mm)||Maximum Allowable Load (kN)||Sprocket||Outer Diameter of Idler Wheel|
|Number of Teeth||P.C.D.||Steel||Plastic|
An engineered plastic idler pulley may be substituted for the sprocket at the tail shaft. The idler pulley rotates freely, without bearings, on the fixed steel shaft.
NOTE: Excessive chain tension can damage the idler pulley.
In high temperatures, use steel sprockets. If the operating temperature exceeds 150°C, contact the manufacturer.
|Top Plate Width (mm)||Standard||Low- Friction||Heat- Resistant||Anti- Chemical||Electro- conductive||Plastic Pin|
Selection and Handling
TPU is similar to TTUP except for the following points:
- TPU Top Chain has float-prevention tabs.
- It is difficult to detach the chain from guide rails.
- Float-prevention tabs allow the chain to easily follow any changes in rail direction, from horizontal to vertical (Figure 4.8).
Figure 4.8 TPU Float-Prevention Tabs Allow the Chain to Follow the Direction of the System