4. How to Select Chains
In this chapter, we outline the selection process. To choose the right chain, follow the step-by-step procedure for the type of line you're running. The first thing you must determine is the type of application: power transmission or conveyor. The selection process differs for the two applications; see Basics Sections 4.1 and 4.2.
In addition to the procedures described in this book, chain manufacturers usually provide comprehensive selection charts in their catalogs; refer to the manufacturer's catalog for detailed information.
- 4.1 Transmission Chain Selection
- 4.2 Conveyor
- 4.2.1 Check of Conditions for Selection
- 4.2.2 Conveyor Type Selection (General Selection)
- 4.2.3 Selection of Chain Type and Specification
- 4.2.4 Points of Notice About Roller Type
- 4.2.5 Chain Pitch Decision
- 4.2.6 Deciding the Number of Sprocket Teeth
- 4.2.7 Deciding the Attachment Type
- 4.2.8 Calculation of Tension
- 4.2.9 Allowable Load of Roller and Standard A Attachment
- 4.3 Selection Example